Friday, September 01, 2006

Today's the day....Quit Smoking Day. I have one cigarette left in the pack I bought yesterday, which I may ceremoniously smoke to kick off my quitting. Or maybe not, as I am being aided in my quitting by the fact that I got the beginnings of a nasty headcold last evening. It crept up gradually, but is now starting to settle in for the long haul. Dammit. I drank a cup of nyquill knock off and went to bed at 9:30 last night and it seemed to help....but it's creeping back. I'll have to pump myself full of drugs because one of our cooks is on vacation this week so I'll be putting in lots of extra time. Dammit.
Speaking of putting in lots of extra time, yesterday I was at the Storm for 11 hours.
I did my regular breakfast shift, then the beginning of lunch so Leslie could shop. I tallied slips and made cream cheeses and artichoke dip for the catering job. I did a lot of straightening and cleaning and my favorite kitchen task of combining two containers of the same thing into one. It is unbelievable how often I end up doing this. But it's alright....as it is my daily obsession I know that it will get done almost every day. I cut 12 pounds of tofu into planks for the chicken fried tofu for 48 I will be making this evening. I arranged the dip platter for the catering pick up. Then I got to work programming the new register. It was slightly challenging but mostly fun. I had missed tinkering with machines. It used to be one of my favorite parts of bookstore world.
I had to talk to the annoying guy picking up the catering job....he is one of those people who asks for your advice about something and then tells you what they have already decided they are going to do. Argh. It's amazing how often this happens in catering. But, I figure, once I hand you the food and you hand me the money it's up to you. Just don't ask me my opinion if you have no intention of even listening to it.
I received two of my three amazon marketplace purchases yesterday...At Your Own Risk, which is a collection of Derek Jarman's journals dealing mostly with being gay and AIDS, and small deadly space, which is the album by Fight that deals somewhat with AIDS as well. So now, I feel like I am living in a
Team America song. The Jarman book is completely amazing....I'm learning a lot about the struggle for gay rights in England which is something I had never thought too much about. I guess I had always assumed, since gay jokes are such a huge part of British humor, that it was somewhat tolerated over there. Apparently, though it was absolutely prevalent in all facets of society, there has always been sort of brutal institutional prejudice. Society is fascinating to me, even when it sucks.
This album is really good too....Rob is using the same sort of voice he did on Painkiller, which isn't really my favorite voice. There are great lyrics and there's a beautiful love song at the end that made me cry last night. I'm a sucka.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home