Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Well now, I have some things I want to talk about, but first, I will finish my promised Boston travelogue. I am so close to being done, I just have to do it!
Plus, Sunday was a funday! So, here goes:
Sunday morning we got up eventually, and finished cleaning from the afterparty. We had a heck of a time figuring out what to do with all the leftover booze(the leftover food we packed for picnics, and there were only a couple leftover cupcakes!)
Kyle came over and we went to breakfast at the most amazing breakfast place in JP: Sorella's. I was losing my mind over the menu...something like 8 pages of omelets, pancakes, french toast, and other specialties. I remember that rebby had the Portugese Omelet and she was in heaven...mine had salmon and cream cheese and avocado and god knows what else in it. I begged for a copy of the breakfast menu to take home but they were out (luckily, sissy mailed one to me this week! :) It was awe inspiring, and the wait did not seem out of proportion to the goodness. In fact, I think it was the only time we really had to wait for breakfast on this trip, which is unusual for Boston. After the amazing breakfast we had to run some errands--first to the grocery store to get some rabbit food for the bunny, then we stopped at the liquor store so rebby and I could get some Magic Hat to transport across state lines. We ended up with a case of #9, and a mixed case of summer brews including the Circus Boy Wheat, Hocus Pocus, some #9s, and a couple bottles of batch 357 mystery beer. It was yummy and sort of grapefruity. (aside: there must be some beer ingredient that causes the grapefruity taste, because it seems to occur in a lot of beers. Is it hops? malt? I dunno) We then dispatched with Kyle, but I honestly don't remember how. Did we take him to the T station? I think so. We returned to the house where the newlyweds continued to pack for their honeymoon to MassMoCa. Rebby and I decided that we just couldn't leave without a visit to Salem, so we printed out hasty directions and said our goodbyes to the ladies, and jumped into the truck.
It was a little scary getting out of the city, but once we were on the highway it was a lovely drive. The end of the trip into Salem involved a lot of little twists and turns through tiny towns, but we found it just fine. Right about 4pm on a Sunday. We parked the truck in a public lot and tore through the streets on a mission to get to the Pirate Museum before the gift shop closed. I thought I would be able to find it by instinct, but we ended up asking a very nice resident who was watering her garden. It turns out we were right around the corner!
We made it in plenty of time and I got a really nice new pirate flag mug that has lots of flags on it. I still think I could do a much better job running a pirate museum gift shop, but that will have to wait until I get my summer home in Salem. (ha!)
From the pirate museum we headed toward the witchcraft museum...gift shop. Rebby almost gave up looking for skull rings but I found a tiny basket of them on the counter. She got a new one and then we walked on to the mall, where we stopped in some more gift shops. I ended up getting a great t shirt with a little skull and crossbones that says Salem on the front, and the back is all about wenching and pillaging and drinking. I love it. By the time we were done in that shop, most things were closing, but we did stop in to the Salem Thrift Store. Unfortunately, there were no magical finds there (that we could afford), but it was funny to see that the Salem thrift store has a whole section of historical re-enactment costumes.
We got back on the road to Boston, and had to decide which of the historic campy restaurants on Rt 1 we were going to visit. We stopped at Hilltop Steak House because I was charmed by the giant cactus and thought it might be a real Rat Pack kinda place...but when we went in, it looked like any Ponderosa you might find in anytown, USA. Not worth our time. So we headed on to Kowloon, which was the exact Rat Pack experience we were looking for. We didnt' end up getting seated in the tiki lagoon, where all the guests had leis on and there were lots of fountains and colored lights and plastic trees, but we did get a SCORPION BOWL and I did get a FLAMING PINEAPPLE. It was glorious. Rebby had duck with lychee and I had never seen anything so gorgeous. What a good time.
We finished our meal and headed back into the city for an evening of cable. We settled in and were treated to a documentary on Blackbeard, followed by Hangin with Judas Priest! It was magic. Then our last night of vacation, and in the morning we packed everything into the truck and headed home. Boo. The trip home was extra miserable due to construction and by the time we finally arrived we were both CRAN-KAY. But all in all, it was a lovely, lovely vacation. Thanks for gettin married sis!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home