Sunday, September 10, 2006

Surprise--I had band practice today!
It was a surprise for me, seriously. On Friday I was sitting around the storm after my shift and thought I had better call Al to see what was going on with the show on Oct 6th. (we are slated to play for the Quiet Storm's 5th Anniversary Weekend) When he called me back, he said he was just about to call me because he had a gig on the radio (Advanced Calculus on WRCT 88.3 FM) on Monday and wanted me to play if I was up for it. How bout them apples? So we arranged a practice for today, and ended up going to Colin's beautiful place in Morningside. He has this gorgeous balcony off his basement bedroom that hangs over the trees looking onto the river. (I think it's the Ohio? The one that Butler street runs along) If I lived there I swear I would never leave my house. It was like being on vacation just sitting there!
So we had a 3 hour practice (an intimate 3 piece version of AFix and Bambam, for now at least) including a lot of the songs we played for our shows last year, a few new ones that are REALLY astonishingly good, and a few from waaaaay back in the Dead at 24 days. I think it's gonna be fun!
And surprise again...there are four more shows booked for the next two months! Luckily Anita Fix is sort of like Nine Inch Nails...it really just means Alan and whoever he ends up bringing along. I hope to make most of the shows because I really love playing, and miss it like crazy. But if I don't, it's not a big deal.
There should be copies of our live CD Sam recorded at the Brillobox last year ready for the later October shows. I'm kinda excited to become a rock chick again!
So I am currently eating a Chef Boyardee pizza that I made from a box. Two different times during practice someone mentioned pizza, and I knew I just had to have it. On the ride home, somehow it became just having to have Chef Boyardee pizza from a box. It's one of my odder cravings, up there with McDonalds cheeseburgers. Oh, and LaChoy chinese food in a can. Some kind of primal trailerpark memory, I guess. Anyway the Chef Boyardee pizza in a box was more expensive than I expected---almost $7 by the time I bought the box and the pepperoni for the top. (it was $4 something for just the cheese pizza, but it is "family size" so about the size of an extra large from the pizza parlor) More importantly though...it is exactly what I wanted. That feels great.
Other than pounding the pagan skins in a secret villa in Morningside and making trailer park pizza, I have been working a lot and when I am not working I am either reading Derek Jarman books or watching Derek Jarman movies. The latest was The Last of England. I have watched it all the way through twice, most of the way through a third time, and I am still coming to grips with it. It's a stunningly beautiful and powerful and emotional film...without any real story or dialogue or plot or all that stuff. It's a barrage of intense images, shot on Super 8 then transferred to video for editing, and then transferred again to 35mm. Then again, to DVD. There were certainly some parts where I was giving him a wide berth because he is Derek Jarman and not some pretentious film student, even though the images look like something a pretentious film student might do. However, there are also several places where I was absolutely startled by the beauty and power of an image...often times something that lasts only for a few seconds. Then there is the penultimate sequence of Tilda dancing in her wedding dress around a fire while a frightening Diamanda Galas vocal piece plays..it's really spooky. And absolutely compelling. Let me just say this...if I was programming a gay film festival I would do everything in my power to have a Derek Jarman retrospective. His movies are AMAZING, and not enough people know about him.
OK, let me climb down off this soapbox and get ready to go out dancing at the Quiet Storm's new Bhangra/Dancehall party! A splendid time is guaranteed for all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home