Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Cheers, Freddie!
It's 8:45 on the evening of your birthday and I have drunk a bottle of champagne in your honor. I also ate a deliciously decadent chocolate croissant. And smoked a bunch.

"When you're feeling down and your resistance is low, light another cigarette and let yourself go......"

I watched the Queen performance at Live Aid to celebrate your birthday, and it made me smile extra big after last night reading the story that your lover told about that day. You put on the show of your life for him, didn't ya?

So, I kept on watching Live Aid, since I was drunk and didn't want to mess with getting up and changing things. David was fantastic...I had forgotten how great his "TVC15" was even though he couldn't remember some of the words. The Who was awesome....Pete was such a cutie!! I smiled at the memory of Sir Paul and Sir Bob and Sir Elton before any of them were sirs.
And then, I was reminded of this guy:



My god, was I in love with him. Not because I thought he was hot, or even so much about his music (though I am listening through it all now and loving every minute of it) I was in love with him because that day I first thought "this man is going to change the world." People talk a lot of crap on Bono, but the truth is...the man loves people. He wants to see people love each other. He wants to see the powerful people of the earth use their power to take care of those who don't have power. Or even food. I have been guilty of talking crap on Bono myself, but seeing the Live Aid performance reminded me that he is one of the truly great spirits on the planet, and that I once held the kind of idealism he still acts on to this very day.
I'm drunk, so I'm not being very articulate. But I am inspired to act. Thank you Bono.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home