Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Nyquil/Fever Dream

Marc Bolan did not die in a firey car wreck, but rather grew to be an old meth addict in a tiny apartment in Boston. Also, he was my dad. News came of his death and my sister and I had to go to the apartment and clear it out. I was taken to Boston by my high school boyfriend in a very yellow SUV (I am thinking this detail came from the song I heard on the radio today about the mom who wishes it was still 1985---is that Weezer?) We got to the apartment and it was totally trashed, but we picked through things and kept coming up with little gems like handwritten lyrics to "Jeepster" and tattered boas...it was really heartbreaking. Somehow we had been totally estranged because of the drugs and although I knew he was my dad I was approaching the endeavor as if he was just a pop star I admired. My sister got too upset ran out crying. Rich and I finished going through the things and then we got in the yellow SUV to try to find her. It was a rainy night in Boston, and we drove around all the different squares looking in all the places I thought she might be.
Eventually, we ended up at Ani Difranco's restaurant (the name was plastered really big on the outside, and it was something totally incongruous, but I can't remember it now) I jumped out of the SUV convinced that my sister would be there. I made my way through the crowd with tears streaming down my face, and finally came upon Ani. She was sort of rude to me, challenging me about crying in her restaurant. She was talking about how there were people all over the world starving and in pain and what did I have to be so upset about? So I told her that my father Marc Bolan had just overdosed and I had just been cleaning out his shabby little apartment. That shut her up.
Didn't find my sister, so I went back outside and Rich nearly ran me over with the yellow SUV. I got in and he hugged me and told me he was so glad we were going to spend the night in a hotel...not for the sex, but for some other reason that I now can't remember. I just remember that he made a big deal out of the fact that it was NOT sex he was looking forward to. Hmm.


I sure do love the nyquil/fever dreams!

So, I posted up some pictures from the radio show on flickr, along with a little bit of commentary. I'll probably write some more commentary on the anita fix myspace (www.myspace.com/anitafixandbambam) It really was a good time, and apparently it sounded pretty good although the drums were sometimes lost in the mix. I certainly don't make it easy for people, so I don't mind. I kinda prefer ambient drumming for the most part, anyway.

Finally...Rockstar. I guess I somehow knew they were going to make the wrong choice all along, but when it actually happened I was still in shock and a little angry. I think it is interesting that Jason didn't say ANYTHING....wonder if he was dissenting? All in all, I'm glad it's over. If they had made the right choice, I might have considered trying to go and see them (especially if Storm is going to tour with the house band) But now I don't have to worry about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home