Saturday, August 30, 2008

Recappin

It's been a fun week! Rebby has been home all week, so I have been hanging out with her in the evenings instead of tapping on the computer so much (except when we are nerdin out sitting side by side on the sofa with our laptops. barf.) I don't think I mentioned how we went shopping last saturday, did I? Well, we started the shopping at the farmer's market/strip district, where we picked up our lamb order and some of THE BEST BACON IN THE WORLD. The lamb lady wasn't able to fill our whole order, but we did get a bunch of ground lamb. Yum. Also got some gorgeous light purple eggplants, some lesbian tomatoes, a little watermelon, and some super purple potatoes. We haven't gotten into them yet. Furter down the strip I stocked up on guatamalan coffee and new mexican chile powder, and then we headed home. First stopping at Dozen for The City's Best Cinnamon Roll, which I have to admit I didn't absolutely love but the vibe in the place is so great and I love to give my heterosexual weddingcatering money to the gays as much as possible. It's my personal economic strategy. So we stopped at home to drop off the perishables and then headed out to JERRY'S!!! Where Rebby was so hoping to find some choice Judas Priest on vinyl. That didn't happen, but I found THE BUBBLEMEN RECORD!!! and DISCOVER by Gene Loves Jezebel with the live bonus disc!!! And a NIN remix 12 inch of The Hand That Feeds. Woo. Rebby ended up getting a vast assortment of things, including a couple Queen records missing from our collection. We're gearing up for a visit to Boston for Queen for a Day so we need to catch up. I sat in front of the stereo and sang "Play The Game" at the top of my lungs along with Freddie the other night. I LOVE that song. I am so going to do it at the next kareoke opportunity. Anyhow, Rebby also got the first Mott the Hoople record and some Suzi Quatro. She was seriously jonesin for vinyl.
I, on the other hand, was seriously jonesin for more Priest on CD that I could take to work with me. So we stopped at The Exchange where I got (deep breath) Defenders of the Faith, Screaming for Vengeance, Angels of Retribution(with the DVD, because our copy has gone missing) and Painkiller. I looked at Live Vengeance '82 and put it back, not wanting to go too crazy, but then Rebby insisted. Wee. So I carry my giant stack of Priest to the counter and duder working there goes "So, did you go to the concert last week?" Ha. I really wanted to say "What concert?" but I was too giddy with that huge stack of Priest so I was nice to him instead. Sigh.
Ok, so the other shopping we did was at the WATERFRONT. We got an ice cream making machine!!! And a new hose. It was time. I will tell you more about the ice cream making machine later.
Came home and made lamb burgers wrapped in bacon with eggplant relish. These were just insanely good. You have no idea. Oh! We also stopped at McBrooms and got a case of Warsteiner. Dunkel of course. I'm all about the Dunkel since my two weeks on the continent. Ha.
Later we draped ourselves over the sofa and watched the priest video. It's so much better than the ridiculous concert from the Turbo era that is on Electric Eye. That one is just an embarassment, really. This one is phenomenal. At the end, Rob knocks his bike over and whips it with a fury. Wow.
Sunday I worked brunch and although it was hella buzy, between the Priest and having Pete as my beta it was pretty mellow for us. People were digging my Jamaican Banana Ginger Pancakes. And rightfully so, I might add. They were pretty darn good.
The rest of the week is a blur now, I have to say. I worked extra long days all week, which actually felt good and although I was tired at the end of them, I was mostly able to rally when I got home. Tuesday I think it was I put some pinto beans and a smoked ham shank and some onions and peppers in the crock pot before I went to work, and when I got home it was dinner. The beans became so creamy and amazing and soaked up the chlie flavor and oh! So good. Wednesday I picked up Donovan from daycare because his mom is archivin it up in San Francisco, and we had a really nice walk through East Liberty and then hung out in a booth at Whole Foods waiting for his dad to get off of work. He amused himself for the most part by stepping from the bench to the window sill and back. He's a good kid. I tried to get him interested in a photo shoot but he really wasn't having it. I took a few snaps though.
After babytime Rebby met me at Sharp Edge for beers and food. I got the ole hop devil soup in a bread bowl. Love. Also a serviceable steak salad and a delicious German expensive dunkel. Yum. Thursday, I switched with Jilly and worked breakfast and then at the end of another long ass day, we had BLTs for supper! With the first big tomatoes from our garden. So yummy.
So then Friday was my day "off", except I had a catering meeting and I had to get the cheese for the catering too. I did dishes and laundry and computering in the morning, and then headed to the storm to gather catering stuff and have the meeting. It was a doozy. The client was totally off the wall (not in a bad way, just in a way too many things on her plate way) and I kept having to drag her back to earth. But we worked it all out, and it's going to be a good job. Rebby came to get me for cheese shopping, and then she suggested that we have sushi for supper. Woo! I cut up the cheese while she went to get the sushi and then I made my first batch of ICE CREAM in the ice cream making machine. We figured I should go vanilla for my first time (ha!) and let me tell you, it turned out super good. I used organic, grass fed buttermilk and heavy cream, organic vanilla, and organic demararra sugar. That. Is. It. It comes out of the machine sort of soft-servy, so we put it in the freezer for a while and then a couple hours later it had firmed up quite a bit. I made us each sundaes (hers with bananas and peanut butter cups, mine with butterscotch syrup and candied pecans) and then we went to bed. I really should stop eating ice cream right before bed because I never feel very good when I wake up. But I can't help it.
I can tell that me and the ice cream making machine are going to be best friends. It was so easy! I'll be attempting some salty licorice ice cream soon.
Oh! On Thursday I also watched the DNC. My love and devotion for Obama fluctuated quite a bit over the course of the nasty primary season, but I feel better after that speech. My favorite thing about him is that he talks about stuff that politicians don't usually talk about. I don't even need him to keep all his promises...just the fact that he is willing to say "gay and lesbian brothers and sisters" in front of 38 million or whatever people, is enough. I gotta send that man some money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home