Sunday, January 14, 2007

Woohoo!
I'm writing to you from the comfort of my new handcuffs hoodie (I'm sorry to say they aren't available in the United States...mine came from the thrift store for $4.99!) I'm currently enjoying a very bizarre adam ant compilation that I borrowed from Jilly after new wave brunch.
Yep, you missed new wave brunch! It was fun. Not terribly busy, and way too many people ordered off the sides menu, instead of ordering Send Me a Bagel. But we got lots of orders for the Modern English Muffin, the Antmuesli, The Rock the Casbah breakfast plate, Frittata Mondatta, and I Want Pancakes. And of course, Flock of Migas. The music was good. People were in good moods despite the rain and gray.
Wow---"Place in the Country" really makes me want form an Adam Ant cover band immediately! Who's in? I want to pound on the drums like this!
Ok, back to the recap. Yesterday was a really great day off, despite the weird weather. We got up for the shows (including an amazing episode of Now about BioWillie ) and had breakfast and coffee, and then took our time getting ready to head out for the day. The plan was to drop off some things at the thrift store that rebby had cleared out of her spare room, and then visit a health food store in dormont that was rumored to carry grassfed meats. We found it, and it was pretty disappointing. They had some seriously frozen buffalo burgers, but that was about it. I did get some wah! guru chews though, so the trip wasn't a total loss. I also got some aluminum free baking soda, and rebby got a grape recharge drink that was not horrible, and picked up a free healthy living magazine that actually had some helpful information in amongst all the vitamin and colon cleanse ads. We headed back to 51 and went to John McGinnis Specialty Foods, which is my new favorite place to shop. They have Amish chickens and Smoked Pork Chops, which is one of rebby's favorite things in the world. I don't know if their meats are especially sustainable or friendly, but they are definitely very fresh and delicious, and the people in the meat dept are very helpful. They also have some good local and organic produce (more local in season, I guess) and nice specialty things like imported pastas and that fizzy water from Scotland and good cheeses. It's a tiny little store, but even if there are several other people in there it never feels like you are being jostled like at the Market District. They also have an amazing Boar's Head Deli case, with a gorgeous variety of meats and cheeses. I'm not much of a deli type, but if you are, you should definitely check it out. Rebby got some house made dried chorizo and let me just tell you....that is the shizzy.
After the grocery shopping we headed to the Goodwill to drop off the stuff and of course, had to take a look inside. That is where I found my cozy as hell hoodie, and an assortment of jars. Including a pasta jar that is actually tall enough to enclose my linguine. The one I've been using the linguine sticks out the top. Bah. I got a little corningware dish as well for my vegetable roasting pleasure, and a small stainless steel copper bottomed saute pan. Unfortunately, the Goodwill would not take her television from the 80s, so we had to hit the south side Salvation Army as well. They had no probs taking the TV, and I got a few more tall jars. Rebby got an assortment of cut glass liquor bottles....she is going to have the pimpiest liquor cabinet around! I made myself leave the gorgeous fondue set with greek animals on the side...it really was so pretty, but the last thing I need really is another fondue set. Seriously.
We headed over to D's to get some beers to go with dinner...they are stocking some magic hat bottles now, so she got a Circus Boy and I got an H IPA I am really ecstatic that I can get a couple bottles of magic hat now and again. It almost makes me want to move to Regent Square! So we got to her place and she grilled the smoked pork chops with raspberry chipotle sauce and I made some sauteed collards and black beans with rice. We feasted.
After the feast we watched some of the footage from the 2001 New Wave Cabaret. Oh goodness! I really had so few memories of this night...I think I had intentionally erased it from my memory since that was the year we did it at the Beehive and some of the bands didn't get to play. (including the human brains who had lugged all the equipment for the night!) But some of the stuff was so great! Lonely Planet Boy doing "All In My Mind", Scott Carney's "Take on Me", Melvin singing "Number with Wings"...wow. A very young very new wave Mike Baltzer doing "Everything Counts". We didn't get through all of it, and we only watched the handheld stuff (rebby had two stationary cameras set up too!) It really made me excited for the upcoming night....my friends are so freakin talented!!!!!
"who taught you to torture".....oh goodness! Whip In My Valise. I just had to say it. I had forgotten. Now I REALLY want to start an adam ant cover band!

1 Comments:

Blogger ItWasInevitable said...

YES! Move to Regent Square!!!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home