Thursday, January 11, 2007

Resolutions.....I got 'em.

I don't usually make resolutions, because my natural tendency is to lose interest in anything I start about two months down the line (if that) But this year, with the BIG DEAL BIRTHDAY and all, I feel like it might be time. So these resolutions are sort of more specific to my natal year than the calendar year, I guess you could say. Some of them are things I have started a billion times (yoga, I'm looking at you) and some of them are things that have just sort of organically grown out of the past year's interests. (organically grown. ha! I slay me.) But all of them are things I fully intend to do within the timeframe of my 40th year:

1)quit the tobacco for good
2)do a regular yoga practice, including actually going to yoga classes
3)join some gym so I can make love to the thigh press once again
4)move to a cheaper and larger apartment (it can be done! I have faith)
5)get a kretchmann CSA
6)grow a garden in black monday's back yard
7)start making my own bread
8)get a driver's license

I'll stop at 8. There are some more things I could throw on there but I don't want to force myself to add two more just to make 10. These 8 all came to me in the 10 minutes previous to sitting down to write this entry so I think they all carry some weight. Words of encouragement are always welcome.

Last night I made a very glamorous yet extremely simple dinner for rebby and myself, and it filled me with the fire of virtue. I had bought a piece of salmon at the whole foods on tuesday (I actually went in for red snapper, since it was jimmy page's birthday, but there wasn't any on offer) and I cooked it in the FLASH ROAST method. You may have noticed that I am all about roasting everything these days---flash roasting salmon means you crank the oven up to 500 and throw your cast iron pan in there, then you put a tiny bit of oil in the pan and lay the salmon in and 10 minutes later you have perfect buttery flaky fish. Good lord, it was yummy! I just put a little lemon juice on top. Along side I had sauteed red chard cut into ribbons, and some roasted acorn squash I mashed and mixed with a little heavy cream, maple syrup and jack daniels. Wooboy, that was good. And so colorful! It's times like that when I really appreciate my matte black plates. They show off colorful food so nicely.

1 Comments:

Blogger madorange said...

Man, I just wrote a big ol' comment and then Blogger made me sign in via Google and it ate my comment! No fair. I am not going to re-write it all, but I said is that I wish I was your GF so I could eat your yummy cookin'!! Hee. Good luck w/ the resolutions! x o

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home