Saturday, November 08, 2008

It's a happy Saturday!
This morning I got up super early and headed to the strip district. It was really great to be down there before a lot of places had opened, sitting outside Fortune's sipping on a blissful cafe mocha as the commerce slowly started up. I liked watching people stop and look at the colorful handmade sweaters and ponchos of the Indian vendors. I liked watching the Italian ladies setting up their cookie tables outside Penn Mac. What I didn't like at all, though, was watching the guys to my right unload box after box of Steelers merchandise....all made in China. And that was only one stand of SteelersmerchandisemadeinChina---there must be at least 7 of them down there on any given Saturday. I even chased a couple of empty made in China boxes down the street that blew out of the back of their van. They didn't notice, or didn't care.
Now, I don't begrudge Pittsburghers their Steelers merchandise. But wouldn't it be great if some of the out of work people who LIVE HERE could make a living making Steelers merchandise for their neighbors? It just made me think a little too much about local economies.
So, I had my mocha and I got my pound of Guatamalan Antigua coffee, and I went down the street to get the couple of serving ware items I still needed for the roller derby banquet we're catering tonight. I tried not to think about the fact that most if not all of the plastic there in Schorins is probably made in China too. Ugh. I walked down the street to Stamoolis where I got some good cheese and some kalamata olive bread (so not made in China!) and then to Reynas where I got two big cans of Hatch Mild Green Chiles. Even though Reynas doesn't carry the frozen Bueno anymore, I have been pretty lucky with alternatives. The jarred green chiles I bought a couple weeks ago made a great stew, even though the medium was definitely not medium (at least not in my estimation!) So I got mild this time. It was super yummy with my breakfast eggs.
From there I headed down to the Firehouse market, where the bell was yet to be rung. I was second in line for turkey! I got a big ole 16 pounder. Woo! Between this guy and the wild turkey rebby got last weekend, we are going to be all set for a big feast! I stood around and waited for my friends the Camerons to meet me, wishing I had worn my all the way cotton tights instead of my cotton leggings. It got COLD this morning! Finally I saw them arrive, and I Juliet, Lydon, Amelia and I went to talk to the chicken farmers while Dave parked. Nate and Kristin were so welcoming and friendly and shared alot of information with Juliet about their farm and their personal transition from vegetarians to poultry farmers. Lydon liked looking at the pictures of the chickens. Amelia liked her bagel. It was chilly, but we had a great time hanging out and talking with them, and then visiting some of the other tables for produce. Juliet got some of the tiny turnips I've been curious about, and I got some broccoli rabe, cilantro, and a giant squash. It was a nice, though hurried visit. Hopefully next weekend will be less chilly and we can linger a little longer!
I headed home and made myself a yummy bacon-egg-green chile-tortilla breakfast and some coffee, and listened to Barney Frank on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me! It was awesome. I was especially happy to hear about how President Elect Obama said on MTV "brothers should pull up their pants." After breakfast, I cut the cheese. Ha. Now I'm caught in that limbo of can't really do anything because I have to go soon, but I don't have to go for another couple of hours. So it's internet-a-rama for me.
I don't know if I really mentioned it on here or not, but Russell Brand quit his radio show over a crazy kertuffel. You can read all about it in the internets, if you care to. Basically, he allowed himself to be a distraction for the British media, I think. He probably was only too happy to have a reason to quit the radio show so he can concentrate on his movie career, but I for one am sad because I really loved being able to listen to his wit and wisdom (and yes, stupid childish behaviors even) on a weekly basis. Here's Mr Gee's take on it (the poet lauriate of the Russell Brand Radio Show):

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home