Friday, September 19, 2008

I don't think I've yet talked about my new boyfriend the ice cream maker.
We've had some really good times together so far, and I think the relationship is heading in the right direction.
So far, we've made:
basic vanilla--this was our first date. It turned out nearly perfect and I was raptureous. all I had to do was mix milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla. that's it. he did the rest. it was creamy and set up wondefully. I fell in instant love.

balsamic strawberry--our second date was a little rocky, but I take full responsibility. I marinated the strawberries in brown sugar and balsamic vinegar, and then added them in with the milk and cream. I didn't adjust the liquid amounts for the strawberry juice, and consequently the volume was too great and my boyfriend made a big mess all over the counter. also, the texture was kind of weird. again, I blame myself. he made the best of a bad situation.

ginger peach--by our third date we had a better idea of what to expect from each other and all was golden again. this time I marinated the peaches and ginger in sugar, but made a basic vanilla recipe and then added in the fruit after the churning was done. the ice cream got a little softer than i wanted when I added the fruit in, but once it set up it was all good. this ice cream made me cry a little bit it was so yummy.

Unfortunately, we still had a bunch of strawberry and some peach ice cream in the freezer when the power went out. I took the ice cream in to work and let my co workers at it---it was funny because one of my other co workers brought in leftover wedding cake the same day. It was a cake and ice cream party at work! woo!

Last night we had another date---cinnamon banana pecan. I thought I ballsed it up with too much alcohol (banana liquor and captain morgan) but after a night in the fridge it seems okay. My boyfriend definitely prefers not to deal with the fruit or nuts. I'll let your mind take that wherever you like. It's better if I mix them in afterwards.

So now I am obsessed with making freaky ice creams. I am going to do the salty liquorice, and now I can't stop thinking about tomato ice cream. I have this Sheila Lukins recipe for tomato marmalade that is just tomatoes and sugar cooked down slowly---I think adding that to some cinnamon ice cream might make my head explode. In a good way. Also, people make avocado ice cream, I think? And my sister texted me from Maine yesterday where she was having blueberry basil sorbet. The possibilities are endless. I'll let my new boyfriend take my anywhere!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home