Sunday, February 03, 2008

Another weekend has come and gone. I actually DID STUFF this weekend, too! Like, social stuff. Like, I went out Friday night to GOOSKIS of all places---I can't tell you how long it's been since I was there, but it's been a long time. Ukelizzy, Leslie Addis, Centipede E'st and The Working Poor all played to benefit some friends who lost their living/working space in a fire.
It was weird to be in Gooskis, for sure. The smoke made me cranky, and the bunches of people I didn't know who were taking up all the booths and seats made me cranky. But once the playing started and the Burning Rivers started working I felt much better. Everyone was fantastic, most especially Centipede. It's been a long time since I've seen them and they really blew me away with the rhythmic drone. I stuck it out almost to the bitter end (I think The Working Poor might have been fixin to encore when we left) and then we came home and went right to bed.
Saturday morning I didn't really feel too bad, despite the smoke and the 5 or so beers. And the fact that I woke up at 8:30 to go to the farmer's market. Seems silly, I know, but I was really wanting some good eggs. We bundled up and walked the couple blocks and stocked up on eggs, raw milk, bacon, and bread. It was more or less a breakfast mission, though I did get some garlic too. Came back and turned the ingredients into a yummy breakfast, and then we went on a big thrifting odyssey.
We've actually been doing a bit of thrifting for the past three weekends, but this weekend we were determined to hit the community thrift on Babcock Blvd because we'd heard great things. Each time we've tried to go there we either couldn't find it, or found it too late. But this time we found it with only one wrong turn, and arrived in the afternoon.
What a glorious thrifting time it was too! We got a Kenwood dual cassette deck (after picking up a Kenwood reciever and tuner the previous weekend at the Bellevue Red White and Blue!) and a really nice little ceramic soup set (a soup crock and four little matching bowls--it's adorable!) and a breadbox! I found a pair of Doc Marten brown Mary Janes, and a couple pairs of work pants. Rebby got some books and a really nice antique booze bottle for her collection. Oh, and some duck boots for hunting. It really is a great little store, but their pricing scheme is hard to figure out. Some things seemed wildly under priced, and some things were definitely very much over priced. Oh well.
We stopped in at the McKnight Rd Goodwill too, and I loaded up on pants and got a couple of pretty dresses. I am starting to feel very hippish lately and the dresses I got are certainly hippie style dresses. Pretty though, and only $2 each. Can't beat that.
After the Goodwill we had to go to Best Buy so rebby could spend her good employee gift card. I really hate that store and all stores like it, so I just sort of shut down and wandered a little, trying not to let all the people and all the STUFF get to me. We ended up getting the first two seasons of the Muppet Show--we used the gift card and then split the difference as our valentine present to each other. Aw. We've watched the first two discs of season one so far. I always thought that Gonzo was my favorite, but now I think it might be Rolf.
After the Best Buy we headed to Trader Joes to get cheeseball ingredients for the saturday night birthday party. Shopping at 4 in the afternoon the day before the superbowl is probably something most people would recognize as a dumb idea, but I hadn't given it any thought. It was so insanely packed in that poorly designed store! People were on top of each other in line, trying to maneuver carts around the aisles where people were standing around waiting in line....it was awful. We were quick and efficient though so our time in hell was short.
Got home and ate some leftovers, then rebby fell to sleep and I made the cheeseball. It was a special request from the birthday boy since he shares his birthday with the founding of the first cheese factory in switzerland. hee.
I showered and dressed and spent about 20 minutes trying to wake rebby out of a dead sleep. Finally we got going and arrived at the party house. I realized I had not been there in over a year---since last new year's eve, in fact. It made me feel a little sad to think about, since I was there all the time just a few years ago. Anyway, a small group was gathered and there was lots of booze to be had and lots of crackers for the cheeseball, and some pork barbecue stewing away in the crockpot. For some reason I decided it would be a good idea to drink rum and cokes all night long, which I proceeded to do. It was not actually a good idea at all, though I didn't realize that until this morning. Last night it was fun fun fun!
I talked to a lot of people I haven't talked to in a long while, and I got caught up on the birthday boy's big trips to New Orleans and Las Vegas. I was kind of expecting dancing, but it never materialized. Just fine in retrospect, I guess. It was really nice to just have a low key fun time out with good folks. And then to fall into bed tipsy as all get out. Woooooo boy.
This morning I suffered. I slept until 10:30, then woke up for about 20 minutes and fell back to sleep. Rebby got up and made breakfast at about noon---I valiantly tried to eat and watch some muppets but basically I ended up falling back to sleep on the couch and eventually get back in bed. My day didn't really start until 4:30pm. Dang. Luckily this is not the kind of thing I do all the time, so I'm gonna chalk it up to my one big drunken blow out for the month. It really sucks to loose a whole day to feeling like you might toss your cookies at any moment.
When I finally got up for reals I put away some laundry, made some dinner, and worked up some peasant rye bread. It didn't rise very much, but it smells lovely. I'll be taking it out of the oven in a few minutes, and then I can go back to bed.
Happy weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home