Sunday, December 23, 2007

Holiday Countdown

Friday evening rebby and I had our Christmas since she left for Ohio early yesterday morning. I made a HAM, with cranberry-mustard-jack daniels-brown sugar glaze. It turned out so good we were swooning (well, when we finally got to eat it---it took about 4 hours to get to the proper ham temperature) I am sure the fantasticness of the ham had more to do with it's happy pig origins than anything I did, but I still felt very proud. Of my ham. I was also proud of my brown sugar and butter roasted sweet potatoes, and the cinnamon apple rings. I was less proud of my spatzle because the white whole wheat flour turned very brown in cooking. They still fulfill the important function of spatzle though, which is to transport butter or gravy to the mouth. Yum. The roasted beets I talked about last time, and the brussels sprouts with chestnuts were good but I kinda wish I would have roasted them longer. Oh well. Definitely not complaining, they were just at the bottom of the deliciousness pyramid.
After dinner we opened presents. I got her a DVD of the Muppets Wizard of Oz, the existence of which we had somehow completely missed even though Pepe the King Prawn is a lead character (he plays Toto) It's really pretty funny, though it is also very adult oriented and I can see why all the parents who reviewed it on Amazon were upset. I also got her a semi-autobiography of Tori Amos and the Welcome to Sunny Florida DVD. She got me Mothership, and the Plant-Krauss Raising Sand, and also---the Zeppelin DVD set. I had just the other day been lamenting how stupid it was that I never got that thing, and she played it very coy. Ha. So last evening when I got home from work I made myself a little plate of leftovers and wrapped up in the afghan and watched the Knebworth concert. If there is ever a time when I am stranded on a desert island with only one DVD to watch for the rest of my life, I want it to be that one. Oh my. Jimmy looks a little dodgy and gets insanely sweaty (I blame the heroin) but man....he can still play. And Bobert is just at the height of his powers and is wearing INCREDIBLE black velvet pants. Holy moly. The bizarrely funky "Whole Lotta Love" is worth the price of admission, but I also seriously love "In The Evening." I haven't watched any of the other concerts all the way through yet, but I have a feeling none will come close to that tour de force.
So she also got me a DVD set of these two shows that were the precursors to Monty Python--Do Not Adjust Your Set and At Last Its the 1948 Show. I've watched almost all of DNAYS because Eric Idle is in that one, but also because it prominently features the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. Wow, so surreal. Jaded as I am, it's always nice to be able to see new comedy that makes me laugh out loud---even if it is "new" comedy from the year I was born. Ha.
Yesterday I worked breakfast, and it was pretty slow but then picked up around lunch time. Hopefully it got busy again at dinner, and hopefully today is a decent brunch. I am having my favorite day before the day before Christmas holiday where I lay around and do nothing, except at some point today I need to: wrap the rest of the presents; pack up cookies; address and stamp a couple other xmas cards; clean the kitchen; and make the scotch eggs. So not so much "do-nothing"---all that can wait a while longer. Later this evening I have a date to go to a gay bar with some of my co-workers---that should be interesting. I'll report back.
Hope you are having a lovely couple of days before Christmas. Today in Pittsburgh it's 54 degrees and raining. Grr.

1 Comments:

Blogger ItWasInevitable said...

Easy about the rain - that could have been snow and, well, you know Pittsburgh - everyone would have forgotten how to drive.

Hope your Christmas was great.

XO
IWI
WD

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home