Monday, October 15, 2007

Yo!
just a quick little update before my fill in breakfast shift.
This weekend was very nice--I had a great time at work on Saturday morning, despite the fact that it was busier than last week. I was just in a groove and making so much stuff! Also, I got to make the vegan banana carob chip monster muffins and that always makes my day, because they smell so unbelievably good when baking that it throws everyone into hysterics. Seriously, the whole staff were slobbering muffin zombies by the time they were cool enough to eat. I sacrificed one to appease the mob, and then wrapped the rest for sale. I wish I could get one of those machines that burger king has to waft the grilled burger smell out into the street (urban legend or actual fact? you be the judge)---I'd sell millions of those muffins, I'm sure. Plus---THEY'RE VEGAN! It's nice when vegans get some extra delicious joy.
After work I roasted a half chicken that rebby picked up at the oakland farmer's market. I threw in some celery, leeks, onions, garlic, carrots and potatoes that I had been saving to the tuscan oven and then covered the ha'chicken with butter (no, I didn't really COVER it--I "dotted" like a good girl) and rosemary and salt and pepper and popped her in the oven. Then I roasted some very fine brussels sprouts in olive oil and salt and pepper. Delish. The chicken was unbelievably good----I keep reading about how the pastured chicken tastes more "chickeny" and that sounds silly but it's really true. So good.
Then we got ready to go to see my friends Mad Happy at the brillobox. They are a couple of happy, incredibly sweet, dance mad freaks who I first saw one night when I was working a dinner shift at the storm. They were playing and I was drawn out of the kitchen to dance---dishes be damned! They played another time at the QS and I loved their show again, and then they played again and I couldn't make it for some reason. But this time I was ready, although I really wish I could have booked anita fix and maybe kill the unicorn to play with them. Actually, what I wish is that they could have been here to play on the bill the other night---they would have fit perfectly. Anyway, it was great to see them and we hung out and watched Unsung together. He was a funny dude who told a VERY funny joke: what do you call a puppy on top of a rabbit in the middle of august? Hot dog on a bun. HA! Ha! Ha! His rapping was a little too humorous for my taste, but he was a nice guy.
Then Mad Happy took the stage, and I was psyched that there were more people than ever before there to see them, but unfortunately they had hella sound issues. The same crappy sound dude who fucked up our last anita fix show at the beeblo was there, still trying to shift the blame everywhere but where it belongs. It sucked to see these super positive people get beaten down by dumb technology issues. Grr.
Anyway, they cut their set short and then Magic Wolf played and although they were AWESOME---their sound was much too loud for the room. Painfully so. I had a headache by the end.
We packed up and came to the house and chatted a bit before sleeping. Then in the morning rebby made a giant breakfast and we all sat around the kitchen table talking about life and gardening. Mike iLL did some dishes and then rebby "took the gypsies for a walk" as Mike said, while I finished the dishes and did some house stuff. It was great to spend a little time with them, and we sent them off to Kent with a sampler CD of Oneida and a promise that when they come back in May we'll get them a show to rock the house. I can't wait. After they left rebby built a fire and we roasted some corn and peppers, and ate leftovers and drank mulled wine. What a nice life!
Today I do breakfast, then go on a shopping rampage at the farmer's market, then go back to the QS for a meeting. Then laundry and TV and planning the rest of the week. There's a wedding this weekend so I'll be up to my elbows in appetizers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home