Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Wow, dogs, I am so behind! Sorry bout that. I think the weather lately has just turned me into a snuggler more than anything else. Don't feel much like sitting upright if I don't have to. Yeah. Anyway, let me just play catch up a little bit, cuz there are some fine and fancy things I've done in the past two weeks that you should know about! Here goes:
Went with Jilly to see King Corn. It was pretty much exactly as I expected it to be, but there was a sort of tug at the heartstrings under/back story that I wasn't expecting. I highly recommend it if you can see it. The factoid that really got me was that something like 70% of the antibiotics used in America are used in our cattle. Does that scare you? I hope so. It does me.
After the movie we walked down the block to check out Seviche, one of a crop of new restaurants downtown. We lucked into seats at the kitchen bar, and we lucked into sitting right where the chef was working. He hooked us up with a delicious tasting menu, which included (let's see what I can remember) a three item seviche tasting including salmon with berries and vodka(the other two fishes were tuna and hamachi, but I can't remember the preparations. they were good though) also a pork empanada, a salad with asparagus wrapped in serano ham, a pork shank, and a flight of housemade ice creams. It was all yummy and the place is nice---it's a weird shape which kind of bothered me. I'm glad we sat at the bar so I could just focus on the cooks. If I was sitting in the dining room I think I might be weirded out. Anyhoo, I had my first ever Pisco Sour. I liked it very much.
So then a couple days later it was my birthday! It was also MLK day, so lots of people had the day off from their jobs. As is typical, lots of people come to the restaurant when they have Mondays off, so I worked the line pretty much steadily with Amy (who was also celebrating her birthday!) until about 2pm. Woo! It was a rush.
After work I chilled a bit and then rebby and I went to Casbah. I ordered a glass of sparkling shiraz and let me just say that it was one of my favorite things about the evening. Also a favorite was the fact that the dining room was all booked so we sat on the heated patio---all by ourselves for most of the evening. That was really nice.
We started with a roasted beet and goat cheese salad--you know that's one of my faves. I also ordered the flatbread trio which came with hummus, baba, and butternut squash hummus. It was good, but a little much. Next time one starter only. The bread basket was very yum, and I managed to finish off all the spreads even though I knew it was probably not a good idea. Oh well. Entree wise, I made a less than wise choice. I picked Alaskan Salmon with spinach rice, blood oranges and olives. Sounds good on paper, and it was GOOD, but really not the thing to order in the middle of January. Especially on a Monday night, if Anthony Bourdain is to be believed. I don't exactly REGRET it, but I would definitely choose something else if given a do over.
Like for example the lamb shank with lamb bacon, fig conserve and white beans that rebby got. Holy moly was that ever fabulous. I was reluctant to order an expensive lamb dish as I was still a little lamb curious and not fully lambisexual. Well now my friends, I have been converted. Dang. Bring it on. So good. I got several bites from her plate because she is a good girlfriend, and because there was so much lamb to be had.
We took a break and then had dessert, where I really triumphed. I got a chevre cheesecake with fig conserve, local honey, and pine nut brittle. The crust of the cheesecake was a sort of brown sugar shortbread cookie. It was absolutely divine. Rebby's chocolate raspberry bread pudding was great, and would probably have wowed me more were it not for the cheesecake. Seriously, I was like that dog in the one cartoon who gets a bone and flies up to heaven. Yum.
We got home and pretty much collapsed. We were exhausted from deliciousness.
Thus ends part one of the report. Part two will include thrifting and more movies.
And my pizza laboratory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home