Thursday, September 06, 2007

Okay, today is my day off. I have a pretty full agenda floating randomly in my head, and I thought the ole diary might be a good place to get it down. I plan to: do some dishes; do some laundry; go to the bank; go to the library; possibly hang out with jen and lilD at Wholefoods; if so, shop at wholefoods in the interest of procuring flour tortillas and maybe a few other things; go to walgreens and get ink cartridges for my printer; clean the shower(oh it's bad!); make some mix CDs for friends; do some prep cooking. Sheesh! It's almost 10am so I better get on it!
I have been trying to be a good reader since I signed up for Goodreads and all. After ripping through Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott with absolute joy, I went to the library to seek out another of her books. I found Blue Shoe, a novel, and tried to get into it. I kept it for a couple weeks, but it just isn't working out for me. Sigh. I switched to a collection of short stories I picked up randomly at the Goodwill called Drinking Coffee Elsewhere---and I'm not having any luck with that either. Is it fiction that's the problem? It could be. I sometimes think I am so jaded from being an English major that a fiction story has to be REALLY sparkly and clever to get my attention. Slice of life is just a waste of my time. I was talking to Al about it last night and he recommended that I go get some Djuna Barnes short stories, so I'm going to do that today. My library branch doesn't have any, so I may just get a collection at Borders. Making the trek all the way into Oakland today seems too daunting.
I am having a grand ole time finally cracking the MFK Fisher collection I got a couple years ago called The Art of Eating. It's four or so of her books collected into one volume, including the Alphabet For Gourmets that made me fall in love with her. So good.
This morning when I finally got out of bed at 7:30!!!!, I found a note from rebby that we have a mouse in the house, and that we would have to get some traps because we don't have Roxy anymore. It made me sad for a minute, and then it made me think of something that either someone directy told me or I read somewhere---sometimes animals choose to die to make room in your life for another animal that needs you.
Now, I'm not saying that I am going to adopt this mouse as a housepet or anything, but every once in a while the thought pops into my head that I really miss having a boy kitten around. Could there be a little boy out there somewhere who is looking for me? I think I might have a hard time convincing rebby---she got very attached to Roxanne sort of in spite of herself, and she doesn't seem to like the idea of "another cat." We'll see what happens. In the meantime, we've got a mouse. Seems to be getting in behind the sink. I am really not at all a fan of mousetraps, so hopefully we can take care of that business outside.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

my cat is an accomplished mouse hunter and I think he's open to freelancing.

just sayin'.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home