Monday, April 23, 2007

What a weekend!
It started for me on Thursday evening, when I went to Kaya for happy hour with j*.
We sat at the bar and drank fruity rum drinks and sampled some little plates and gabbed for almost three hours! It was fantastic and a great way to celebrate the coming of the fine weather. You should take a look at the dinner menu of tropas--we had the serrano and romaine salad and then an order of the empanadas and then ANOTHER order of the empanadas because they were SO GOOD and only $5. I drank Dark and Stormys all the way through---j* tried the vodka version but then switched to rum as well. I got a few more little cleaning out the house presents too! Such a nice time.
Friday was a busy day at the restaurant, and then I came home and ate some green chile stew I had made on Thursday, then got ready and we headed up to Polish Hill. We stopped in to visit Donovan and Jennie and then continued on to Gooskis. Anita and Colin were just arriving so we loaded everything in and then started to set up. It was kind of nice to be in the old spot---it had been a REALLY long time for me. I can't even tell you how long. Saw a bunch of friends and met some nice visitors from New York, drank a beer or two and tried to get myself psyched up to play. It worked.
I think we played one of our best sets ever--lots of energy and we busted out some new songs and people loved them. Good times! The Skinks were so so good and it makes me sad that they are no more. It really is a very Beatle-y sound that not too many bands have these days. It's all about the melody, baby! By the end of the night I was drunk enough to become obsessed with cigarettes, so I got a pack out of the machine. Shame on me. Really, you don't need to shame me because I felt like crap on Sunday after smoking most of the pack on Saturday. But man, that first one in the bar with a cold beer was pretty sweet.
We managed to get all packed up and home and fell into the bed. Saturday was rough--I felt pretty icky getting up. Had some toast and coffee and watched the shows and was looking forward to Indian Buffet for lunch. Unfortunately our lunch comapnion bailed, so rebby made me some lunch at her place and then we drove out to McGinnis Dads for supplies for the cookout to come. We got smoked pork chops and amish cheese and goat cheese for the grilled beets and I got some amish chicken for my freezer. Oh--rebby also got some link chorizo--yum! We stopped at my place to pick up some stuff out of my fridge and then headed over to the Bonello compound to prepare. I made german potato salad and a mixed greens salad with the woodstock dressing I cooked up myself. Rebby roasted some potatoes with garlic and rosemary, and we marinated the beets in balsamic vinegar and olive oil and threw them on the grill. I also made some little stuffed jalapeno bombs with the amish colby cheese--they were really yummy! I wrapped them in foil--no breading necessary. Next time maybe I will oil the foil so they don't stick, but otherwise I'm very proud of my brainstorm. Guests started to arrive and the meatfest began---smoked porck chops and burgers and chorizo on buns and mojo chicken and then people brought homemade scotch eggs and other people brought veggies for steaming and veggie dogs for grilling, adn then there were mussels steamed in beer, and later, pie! I had a few beers but really kind of held it in check. I did smoke a lot though. Ugh. I passed out on the couch at about 10:30pm--it felt like 2am! Rebby took me upstairs to bed later.
I woke up at 7am even though I really could have used another couple hours of sleep--that's just how it goes for me. I sat outside and read some interviews in Rolling Stone in the sunshine while rebby made pancakes and sausages for breakfast! Wow.
We all ate and soaked in the sun for a while, then we decided to visit Home Depot to get our free Earth Day lightbulbs and check out teh gardening scene. It was madness, as you can imagine on Earth Day with a temp of 75 degrees, but we managed to get a hoe and a hand spade and some gardening gloves and mushroom compost, then after stopping at my place for a quick change, we headed to the Benford Shanley estate to start digging the garden.
Boy howdy! Digging the garden is hard work! I must say though, despite the fact taht I am bruised and blistered and burnt and sore....it was the most soul satisfying afternoon I've had since I can remember. The dirt in the garden is really great, and I just felt like I was immersing myself in a new world. We started out digging with shovels to turn most of the bed, then eventually I just got right in there with the hand spade to pull out roots and rocks and work the earth. I was without a doubt the DIRTIEST I have been in recent memory, but it was a very clean dirty feeling, you know? We got a few packets of organic seeds---lettuce, cilantro, parsley, chard, and cantaloupes to start, and we plan to get some seedlings from garden dreams too. We worked in a bunch of mushroom compost to the bed and Wednesday we'll go do the first planting, and maybe dig the second bed. I might want to wait for teh weekend---I don't know if I will be recovered enough to dig like that on Wednesday! Rebby is already recovered enough that she rode her bike to work today--ha! I worked in the kitchen and came home to collapse in a heap! But I'm old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home