Saturday, October 08, 2005

It's all down to the hug pt 2

So the lights came down, and Supagroup came on. Eh. The less said of them the better, I think. I was offended by their song about having to have balls to rock and roll. I don't have any, and I can rock as hard as the next guy. I was distracted playing spot the guitarist. I didn't spot him again until the end of their set, when he ducked backstage.
The lights came up and the set up started. I love the feeling of anticipation I get watching set up for a band I love...it's like being at the top of a rollercoaster for 20 minutes! Renfield came out and chatted with some people up front. The roadies did their thing, and I got a little thrill as each of Roxie's guitars came out. (I am such a geek!!) The pre-show Alice music started up..."Sickthings", "Love Should Never Feel Like This", "Perfect" (I think there were others, can't remember.) The lights went down, and Eric threw the cover off his drumset. The roar was deafening. I barely had time to figure out where to look for Alice, and there he was.
Let me just say this right now...I fully expected to spend most of my time watching Roxie, especially given my direct line of site. But it was really hard to take my eyes off of Alice. He was completely captivating. I've looked at a lot of pictures from this tour, but they really don't give any sense of just how SEXY the man is these days. And it wasn't just the pants, although they were all good. It was his attitude. Strutting and prancing and shaking his hips and running his hands all over himself...sheesh! Alice knows exactly what he's doing.
The setlist was exactly the same as has been posted (I printed it out to keep track!)
My personal hilights: I Never Cry(as expected...I cried); Is It My Body(a particularly hard rocking version, and Alice was playing with the audience big time! At one point he stuck his behind out and ran his hand down his thigh, changing the lyrics to "is it my FABULOUS body"; when he got to the "what does it take to get inside your mind" part, he was right in front of me and the psychotic look he gave when he sang it sent chills down my spine) The whip dance for "Go To Hell" was great--all Calico's dances seemed more acrobatic than I remember from past shows.
Then we moved into the really intense part of the show. "Gimme" took me straight back to 1997----the outfit, the smoke and lights, the menace...that was like the part of the rollercoaster where you're at the bottom of a huge hill, and for a split second you think "I can't do this", but you're committed. You can't go back. It really got to me, and put me in the perfect frame of mind for "the piece."
Sometimes I think that having seen numerous shows, not to mention countless DVD viewings, I should be a little more "jaded." But no. The drama is just as effective now as the first time I saw it. The addition of "The Awakening" and "Killer" really pushed it over the top for me. Most of the action happened right in front of me, too, and it was so powerful. I don't think I'll ever get to the point where watching Alice's face during "Dwight Fry" won't give me chills.
Ryan tried to get the "I Love the Dead" wave going, and I did my best to help, but people didn't play along. Oh well.
Then the magic coffin did it's trick and Alice said the words I love to hear: "party time." (although it's bittersweet, too, of course...party time means the party is almost over) Alice was having so much fun popping ballons that he almost missed a chorus!
And then "Poison", and I had my moment. Alice looked at me a few times over the course of the night(most notably that "get inside of your mind" thing), but he hadn't come near me with the "dirty diamonds," and the cane went a few rows up. (the riding crop went all the way to the other side of the stage, sadly) But during Poison, I got the point and the "come hither" fingers....I don't think there is anything hotter in the world than Alice's gloved fingers pointing at you and doing that little thing he does. Yowza.
I barely recovered for "Wish I was Born in Beverly Hills", which was fun. Especially when Alice picked up Paris's bag and did his little swishy walk. I've heard Under My Wheels enough times to not be all that excited about it as a closing number, but Alice made it better by making Roxie spin in circles faster and faster till I was sure the guitar was going to fly right out of his hands. There were a few times when guitar picks came flying in my direction, but I was not going to be one of the people scrabbling on the ground for it. I tipped my top hat to him during his introduction and he grinned a mile wide. So adorable.
And then it was all over. Some other things I didn't mention....I hardly looked at Damon all night, and I feel bad about it. He sounded fantastic, but he is just way too "timid" on stage! Chuck was a lot of fun...all smiles and lots of rock god moves. Eric seemed to be having a great time, probably because he was in his hometown! I thoroughly enjoyed his drum solo. Roxie, of course, was just a ball of energy from start to finish. He really got the crowd pumped up and worked the whole stage like a pro. Most of the time he was right in front of me though...wouldn't have it any other way. One of my favorite moments was when Alice "sent" him to the other side of the stage for a guitar solo, saying "go to work, Hollywood!"
And then the lights came up. And then Becky said "we're going back to Cooperstown."
to be continued.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home