Friday, October 07, 2005

Woohoo! As of last night, I am officially auxillary drummer in a Butthole Surfers cover band! We are learning 4 songs for a show called Lollapalooza-con05, where a bunch of local bands are covering bands that played Lollapalooza. As far as I could gather, no one is doing Jane's Addiction, which is a damn shame. However, there is rumor that someone IS doing Pearl Jam, which might make up for the fact that nobody played Pearl Jam at the GRUNGECON04 last year. We'll see.
I enjoyed myself way more than I expected to....I think it might be two years since I've picked up the drumsticks and despite the aches and pains and blisters, it was an incredibly exhilirating experience. Of course, part of the draw is that I get to play with two of my favorite all time local musicians....the guitar player and bass player from the 1985. And they seemed as excited to be playing with ME as I was to be playing with them, which gave me quite the ego stroking. The "main" drummer is a really nice fellow I had not met before who seemed suitably impressed with my playing. It was a little strange to be in the boys club atmosphere of a band practice, but I really dug it.
So, the songs we are doing are: Cherub(my favorite, it actually sounds a lot like Dead at 24); Negro Observer; Gary Floyd; and The Shah Sleeps in Lee Harvey's Grave, which is not so much a SONG as noise and screaming. Fun. I got completely in the ZONE and just pounded my fool heart out. Floor tom, snare and china cymbal, which apparently I am supposed to light on fire. We'll see about that too.
In a little over six hours I will be on my way to Cleveland. I can't begin to express how happy this makes me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home