Wednesday, December 24, 2008

well, merry christmas people!
I've got so much to tell! It's been a flurry of activity, most of it holiday related, around these parts. I got my xmas letters all mailed away. I baked hella cookies.
I shopped and wrapped( at least for the the family I'll be seeing tomorrow--there's more shopping and wrapping to do after I get Friday's paycheck) Rebby and I had our early christmas dinner of lamb chops and scalloped potatoes and broccoli and cauliflower in cheese sauce. We decorated the silver tinsel tree. (there are pictures of it at flickr, but honestly it looks the same every year.) And then we opened presents! I got her season 3 of the Muppet Show, with Alice Cooper. And Radio Ethiopia and a book of Patti's poems. She got me a DVD of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds videos(featuring lots of delightful footage of my beloved Blixa, and lots of smart ass and self deprecating commentary from Nick and Mick) and....a new laptop! No joke. It's an Acer with a big ole enormous fancy screen and super fast processor and.....mah johngg titans installed in the game menu. I am completely addicted to it and have masted all the formations at least once. Anyway, the reason she got it for me is not for the mah johngg, but for the fast processor speed and more memory space. The ole Dell was just constantly freezing up and taking literally 8 minutes to start up and shut down every time. So it needs to be put out of it's misery, or at the least given a much diminished role of being the QS music and email computer. I am just starting to realize how crippled I was by my old old laptop. This one is tons lighter, and super duper fast! Whee.
Speaking of the QS, me and Pete held it down in the kitchen all day yesterday, and we listened to Shawn Watson's A Minute Pause on WRCT, like we do every Tuesday. It's our tradition. Anyhoo, Shawn ended his show yesterday with his Three Worst Christmas Songs of All Time. The #1 worst song is actually not a "holiday" song, but a conceptual art project to create the least wanted song of all time. If you are brave, and have 25 minutes of your life you don't mind losing, take a listen. It made the already surreal experience of being practically alone in the restaurant on a Tuesday afternoon even more surreal.
Shawn's penultimate bad Christmas song, Spike Jones' Nutcracker Suite, was really fantastic too. Even though the day thoroughly wore me out, it was a lovely time listening to this weird shit and eating cookies and ice cream.
Then I went to borders for some last minute presents, then out to Silky's for Christmas burgers and beers. Woo! Then last night I wrapped the presents while watching Nick Cave and friends. Lovely!
This morning I went to hang out with Jilly's cat and caught an episode of Top Chef. Once again I am so thankful NOT to have cable, as I would waste even more time than I do now zombie-ing out in front of the TV watching cooking shows. I'm sure this evening and tomorrow will hold plenty of that for me in Dormont.
OH snap! I forgot to mention the bike! We went to McKnight Road on Sunday for some shopping, and one of the stops was at the Goodwill to look for mason jars for Rebby's Rubs. (she makes bbq spice rubs for xmas presents every year. lucky folks!) We found some jars, and also THIS! I am so excited to finally have the bike I want. It's just my size, though the seat needs to be adjusted and the tires need air and probably some other basic brushing up too. But, $30! and, PURPLE! It was meant to be. Come on spring.
OK, I think that's about a recap. Hope you and yours have a warm and safe and happy and healthy holiday! I'll try to be more on top of the posting in 2009. Now that I have this zippy new machine it just might happen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home