Thursday, August 07, 2008

Mother Nature Loves Me

I walked in the front door not 10 minutes ago.
Just two minutes ago the sky opened up and now delightful rainy breezes are blowing in my window! Thank you for not pouring down on me while I walked around in the strip district in my dress and sandals without an umbrella.

Had a lovely day! First stop was Bradley's Books to get something to read while I had lunch. This has been my day off in the strip tradition for years. This time I got a pretty comprehensive southwestern cooking cookbook, and a book called Hidden Kitchens about the Kitchen Sisters' NPR show. Both for $12! Can't be beat.
I went to Chicken Latino for lunch and made a pig of myself. It was all so good though! I got a grilled chicken platter with fries, coleslaw, rice, beans, and tortillas. Also an Inka golden cola, which is really not that good. It was fizzy though, so there's that. Next I made my way down to Fortunes for my Guatamalan Coffee fix. Having that delicious aroma wafting up at me the rest of the way around the strip was intoxicating. From there I headed to Lotus to see what I could see. I had a request for sushi ginger, and "something fun". So I got the sushi ginger and some really gorgeous vegetable noodles in spinach and tomato varieties. Nothing else was really jumping out at me though. I went in to the In The Kitchen shop to see if they had one of those new fangled safety edge can openers but you know what? those women were SO RUDE that after walking around the whole store while all four of them had a conversation amongst themselves, I just walked out. And no one said hello or goodbye to me either. I really miss the nice folks who worked there when I was Balcolny Cookware.
So then I hit Penn Mac for the goods: papaya spears and spices. I got whole cloves and nutmegs and cardamom and ground coriander. I also got some plugra butter for baking as it is more than a dollar cheaper there than at TJs. What? It's true. I didn't believe it either.
At that point I was having a bathroom issue, so I decided to stop in Leaf and Bean. On the weekends the place has a pretty Parrothead vibe to it, but during the week it is full of tatooed cigar smoking heavies. I liked it. I got a double cappucino and (shhh) a box of nat shermans naturals. I smoked one fine brown cigarette while sipping my cappucino and felt very continental and cool. Then I headed to the bus stop and hardly had to wait! It was a long and crowded ride, but I got home just in time to avoid the raindrops. Now it's dishes, baking, cooking, and putting away the laundry. Happy days!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home