Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Howdy campers!
It's almost 11pm, and I smell like frying and am covered in batter. But, the 200 or so jalapeno corn fritters are done! As are the 160 or so spinach salmon cakes. I feel a great sense of accomplishment and victory. Russell Brand helped with his hilarious podcast---for some reason I always choose the podcast when I have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Sometimes I try to get something highbrow like NPR but that only works for so long. Then it's back to the crass humor and shouting and victorian nonsense I love so well.
So, still remaining on my list for Saturday's wedding from h e double hockeysticks is a whole heap of paella, a whole heap of red beans and rice, a whole heap of fruit and cheese, and mango papaya chutney. The thing that all of these things have in common is A WHOLE HEAP OF CHOPPING. It's times like this that I really wish I had "prep" people in the true sense of the word....like come in at 5am and chop 20 onions style prep people. Instead I will be doing most if not all of the chopping myself. And then, the wedding. And then, the Judas Priest concert. And then, I collapse. It will all be worth it in the end, of course...but the build up is always just so stressful!
But let's not dwell on that. Let's dwell on the great weekend! Friday night rebby came home and after being told by all pizza delivery people that my neighborhood is too dangerous, we went and got slices at Sola. They were playing Motorhead, so we decided it was definitely the right thing to have done. I had some catering stuff to do Friday night as well, and then we went to bed and slept until 8:30! I didn't set the alarm for the farmer's market as I had already gotten an email that the people with the delicious bacon wouldn't be there, and really we needed sleep. So we slept, then got up and had coffee and migas and homemade sausage. I finished up the last bits of catering and then took off for the QS where I met Jilly and we went to the Night In the Tropics at the Aviary. This event was so well organized and smoothly run that it was an absolute dream! We had what we thought might have been a crap location but turned out to be an awesome location (and right next to the veterinary room as well!) and people loved loved loved our food. The thing that we do that really sets us apart---besides being vegan and vegetarian, and trying as best we can to echo the theme of whatever party we are catering---is provide an assortment of things. All the other tables had two items at the most...sure some of them were great, but we pride ourselves on having a whole bunch of little bites to try. People really dug it. We got rid of all our catering brochures and all our business cards, and I even ended up giving one of the labels to an Indian woman who said she really wanted to come to the restaurant but was afraid she would forget the name. Her husband gave me the compliment of the night when he asked me if my mango and papaya chutney was imported. Hee.
We had a couple extra tickets, so Jill and I each invited a friend to come and "help" (mostly eating free food and drinking free drinks and checking out the birds and people watching) Our friends hit it off so well that we barely saw them once they met! It was nice, though a bit funny. In any case, we all had a great time and the event was a rousing success! (even if Jennie didn't get a photo op with the penguin)
Sunday rebby and I slept in till almost 9:30am! Unheardof. We debated what to do about breakfast until she uttered the magic words: pancake house. My eyes apparently lit up like firecrackers in the early morning light. We got dressed and threw our bag of Cds to trade in in the truck and headed out to McKnight Rd. Pancake house was hoppin, but we only had to wait about 20 minutes. Rebby had the pigs in blanket and I had the 49er flapjacks with a side of canadian bacon. The flapjacks were TOO big, but delicious. Then we headed to Gabes so she could look for sweatbands and I could investigate the world of TOPS. I have such a hard time buying TOPS. Skirts, pants, shorts, overalls....no problem. I'm also pretty good at tank tops and sweaters. But something lightweight to wear on the weekend that doesn't have stains or holes or show a little too much in the area of "cleve-land"---not so much. So I set myself the task of finding some nice ish tops, or at the very least a lightweight longsleeved shirt to wear over the skimpy tank tops. I ended up getting 6 total tops--all for under $24. I heart Gabes a lot. Hopefully I can get myself in the habit of wearing them now. A couple of them are very simple and nice.
After Gabes we dropped some things off at the Goodwill, resisting the urge to enter. Huzzah! We did enter the Record Exchange, though...and got only $13 store credit for our big bag of Cds. So we decided to save it till there's something we really want. We keep our store credit slips in the glove compartment for the next time we're out there, along with our east end brewing beer card.
So, back to the home, then out again to recycle and hit the co-op.


(this post was interrupted by my connection going out. luckily I was able to save it to notepad. unluckily I don't have time this morning to finish it, but I will when I get home!)
Have a great Wednesday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home