Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Hi. Let's talk about music.
I've been sort of voraciously consuming new music lately since getting my new computer, since downloading/burning/transferring is once again simple and quick rather than a cause for fasting and prayer. I've recently discovered or rediscovered some amazing things that I want to share. I'm sure there's something here for everyone to enjoy.
First off, Blixa. The Nick Cave video collection really threw me into a bout of Blixalove, and I've spent the past few days listening to his gutteral german growl and shriek. And then sometimes he sings in English. I downloaded the last couple of EN albums which are stylistically very different---right now I'm listening to Jewels which is more like the early very industrial stuff than anything they've done recently. I was just saying that I prefer the more recent ambient stuff but now that I'm listening to crashing I can't back that up. I love them both, differently. I guess the best way to put it is that the ambient stuff (like Tabula Rasa and Alles Wieder Offen) soothe me and make me feel calm, while the industrial crashing stuff makes me want to MAKE MUSIC. Seriously, right now I want to go into the basement and start banging on stuff. Can't wait for the Dead at 24 reunion tour, baby!
So besides Blixa, the other big discovery I've made recently, thanks to emusic, is The Fireman. This is Paul McCartney's electronica side project (please meditate on that sentence for a moment) which he does with the bass player of Killing Joke. Yes, you read that right. And, it's been going on since 1993. WTF?!? How do I not know this? I'm really indignant about it. Someone should have told me. And also? It's GOOD. I didn't download the whole album yet, (the newest one is called Electronic Arguments, named after a line in a Ginsberg poem. Again, WTF?!?! McCartney reads Ginsberg?)but the first song and the last two are really rockin my world. I am going back for more as soon as my credits reset.
And then, there's this fabled Dreamland album by Robert Plant. Jennie told me about this at the Robyn Hitchcock concert, and I didn't believe her because how could it be that Robert Plant put out a covers record and I didn't hear about it? So I went searching on the internet and I swear to god, neither the emusic site nor wikipedia mentioned it. So i was thinking she was really crazy. But then she got it for me for Christmas, so now I have it to hold in my hands. Robert's version of "Morning Dew" is almost as creepy as Blixa's (see how I tie it all together? supergenius, I tell ya) but I am still undecided about his version of "One More Cup of Coffee." I hated it the first go round, but liked it more the second and third times I listened to it. I think it's a grower, not a shower. ;) I am also undecided on his version of "Song to the Siren" because he says "unfold" instead of "enfold." This is obviously a stylistic choice, and if we ever have tea I am going to ask him about it. But it kinda pisses me off, because it sounds stupid to me and ruins an otherwise very gothic mood. The rest of the record is full of winners, especially "Darkness Darkness" and "Red Dress" which appears to be an original. And also---his guitar player used to be in The Cure. WTF?!?! I am excited to spend more and more time with this record.
A couple more recent faves courtesy of emusic: She Keeps Bees, Noze, and Gudrun Gut.
Tell em I sent ya.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennie B. said...

Gudrun Gut! I love her and not just because she got Anita Lane to do a couple songs with her. Have you downloaded the Anita ones yet? "Firething" is great AND hilarious.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home